Monday, March 31


Bonsai

A couple of postings ago I raised the subject of how one of my themes
concerns size, more specifically, just how big is the subject that
we are looking at. Here is another example of a photo that illustrates that point.

About 18 months ago I discovered that there was a major grower of bonsai in
New Plymouth. Although he is unable to be too public about his collection because
of the danger of being robbed, he was generous towards me in allowing me unlimited access to his beloved plants. This Japanese pine he has been growing for about 40 years.

The photo is small and I printed it in quite a large edition with the aim of it being an
inexpensive Christmas photo, although as much as I like it, it did not really sell that well.
It is possible that its time will come, perhaps not.

I've written on this topic partly because I have a number of students e-mailing me with questions, and 'what are my themes?' is one of the most common. Another one is 'what are your influences?'